Vacation lookbooks on websites and Instagram may look dreamy and picturesque, but behind those stunning shots are often big brands and luxurious labels. Not all of us can afford a drool worthy traveling wardrobe packed with designer names on top of a holiday at a gorgeous destination! If you, like me, prioritise the vacation stay over the fuss of wearing quotable names for resort wear, then I’ve got you covered! I’m spilling beans on how to shop, what to shop and where to shop from – all inside a reasonable budget!
Planning for a vacation can be a difficult and stressful job, and it often sucks the fun out of the experience. If there’s a time you like to take holidays around, or more likely to get official leaves for, then you know what to look forward to! My vacations are always around end of October – mid November, so I start planning ahead of time. Over the months that bring in the discounts, I keep a lookout for the kind of clothes I picture myself wearing on a holiday. It’s easier for your mind and your bank account statements to process the buys spread over a few months, instead of a few days! ; )
As an online shopping junkie, I can sincerely vouch for online retail therapy! Window shopping in the malls is so passe! Head on over to your favourite online shopping website to casually browse the recent additions to your favourite brand’s pop-up! While you’re at it, make sure to save/wishlist items that you love. I can’t even tell you how many a times I’ve stumbled upon gorgeous dresses too expensive for my budget, only to find them on some seriously irresistible discounts in a months time on my wishlist! If I were being honest, most of my travel pieces like bikinis, sun dresses, maxis and comfortable resort wear sandals come from sale seasons on my favourite websites and coupon codes! I can promise you, there’s no trick smarter than this one to shop on a budget!
Flea markets can be your saviour if you fit easily into the generic sizing. You won’t have any way to try the clothes on for the sizing and fit, so maybe avoid it if the generic sizing charts aren’t your friend. Even so, it’s not uncommon to find a top labeled “S” that looks more like an “L”. Save this option for mufflers, cardigans and overcoats for your Swiss/Leh vacation! Cause what are friends good for if they can’t take pictures of your trials to compensate for the lack of mirror bang in the middle of a crowded thrift shop!? ; )
Here is a list of some of the websites I like shopping from for my tropical-vacation dresses
- MyntraThere are always some beautiful pieces on discount! Some of my favourite budget friendly brands on Myntra are Sassafras, Here&Now, Sera, Tokyo Talkies and Mast & Harbour. Not only are their designs at par with International sites like Shein and Romwe, but they’re also always on discount on Myntra. You know now what to hit if you want to buy some cute little dresses under Rs. 1000/- !!
- AliexpressAlthough not the most reliable, I’ve ordered atlas 100 items on this site, and always, if there’s a no-show of the order, they’ve successfully refunded my money. So they’re definitely not a rip-off! The quality is often shady and unreliable, but if you go by the reviews & feedback left by customers, you’ll be in safe hands! You can even find SheIn’s store in Aliexpress!
- StalkBuyLoveIf you’re looking for vibrant colours in fits specifically designed to flatter the Indian body, you need to look no further! Almost 90% of what they offer is synthetic, so beware – they’ll make for stunning pictures, but might not be the most comfortable to wear for too long. Again, they have the most beautiful dresses at fairly reasonable rates. So even though they’re far from long-time wear quality, they’re ideal for some statement dresses that you can wear for candle lit dinners and drinks by the sea-side.
- Forever21Always ALWAYS A-L-W-A-Y-S keep tabs on their Sale section online. You’ll find the cutest things here for a steal!
- AjioAm I the only one who has noticed this comparatively newly born child in the very competitive zone of e-commerce, having stepped up and killing it already!? Head over to this one stop shop wonder for dresses, footwear, jewellery and everything else under the Sun that you may need! Their in house label AJIO has some unique and oh-so beautiful dresses with just the right touch of Indian. You’ll especially adore their options if you’re a fan of Cotton. Plus, they add new collections ever so often! No wonder these guys have become my personal favs over the last year!
Hope you found the tips useful! That’s how I shop on budget for my vacations. Until next time..